KPK arrests Setya’s no-show lawyer
Gemma Holliani Cahya
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has arrested Fredrich Yunadi, a lawyer and suspect of obstruction of justice, only hours after he failed to appear for questioning on Friday.
Fredrich had allegedly helped graft defendant and his former client Setya Novanto to avoid being investigated in the e-ID graft case.
After pursuing him in various locations in Jakarta, KPK investigators managed to arrest Fredrich in an undisclosed area in South Jakarta on Friday, minutes before midnight, KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said.
"We had warned [him] to ensure he show up for [Friday's] questioning," Febri said on Saturday. "The investigators had waited for him until working hours were over on Friday."
Febri said the reason for the arrest was because the investigators had enough evidence to pin Fredrich in the obstruction of justice case.
Following his arrest, Fredrich arrived at the KPK headquarters at around 12:10 a.m. on Saturday and refused to comment, kompas.com reported.
The KPK has said Fredrich, along with other suspect Bimanesh Sutarjo, a doctor at private hospital Medika Permata Hijau in Jakarta, had allegedly conspired to manipulate Setya’s medical records and admit him to hospital following a car accident last November, thus allowing Setya, who at that time was a graft suspect, to avoid being investigated by the KPK.
Bimanesh was detained earlier on Friday after he underwent questioning.
Fredrich has represented Setya since the latter was first named a graft suspect in July 2017. Last December, Fredrich quit the job when Setya was about to face the graft trial. (kuk/ipa)
- Local residents slaughter 292 crocodiles in Sorong farm
- Indonesia among world’s less stressed countries
- Third coalition at stake after Muhaimin's maneuver
- Trump's trip to Europe: Top five highlights
- Densus 88 shoot dead three alleged terrorists in Yogyakarta
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement
- Saudi woman could be jailed for hugging pop star
- Medan Zoo welcomes birth of two Bengal tiger cubs
- KPK raids PLN president director's house in Jakarta
- Emirati prince flees to Qatar, criticizes Abu Dhabi: report